NIGERIAN STUDENTS POETRY PRIZE (NSPP) 2018
Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) is an initiative of Poets in Nigeria (PIN) designed to stimulate creativity, promote literary excellence and broaden the concept of intellectualism among Nigerian undergraduates. Since inception in 2016 at the Students’ Union Building, University of Ibadan, the prize has received over 1000 entries from students drawn from over 100 tertiary institutions, cementing its place as the nation’s foremost poetry platform for students.
The 3rd edition of the prize opens for submissions from 15th January to 28th February, 2018. Building on the success of the 2017 edition of the awards ceremony hosted by University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus (UNEC), winners of the 2018 edition will be awarded in May at Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu. Previous winners of the prize include Noah Oladele (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife), Chinelo Nwangwu (University of Ibadan) and Chisom Okafor (University of Nigeria, Nsukka) in 2016; Bakre Fadil Adedamola (University of Ibadan), Ajah Henry Ekene (University of Benin) and Bona Solomon (University of Ibadan) in 2017.
Aside rewarding the top three entrants who also double as prize winners with a total cash prize of ₦300,000, the top 100 entrants will be featured in a globally distributed anthology.
1st Prize – ₦150,000
2nd Prize – ₦100,000
3rd Prize – ₦50,000
• The 2018 edition of the prize is sponsored by Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu.
• Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
• Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
• Submissions are to be made through the Submission’s Portal, with strict adherence to the instructions thereon.
• Poems must be original, intellectual property of the entrants.
• An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
• There are no fixed themes.
• Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided (inclusive of winners).
• All entrants are expected to purchase either one or both editions of the anthology of the top 100 entries uploaded on the submission portal.
• Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
• Entering for the contest gives PIN automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
• Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated in English as footnotes.
• Entrants should subscribe to PIN’s Facebook Page for regular updates.
For enquiries, contact the moderator – Phone: +2347034847164; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Deadline: 28th February, 2018
Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom
Moderator, NSPP 2018